Sunday 15 February 2009

Happy Clappy, but not too bad

One thing you shouldn't really talk about is religion 'cause you will always offend somebody but Sunday morning was an interesting experience. We have been in Durban for the weekend visiting my Auntie Carol. Durban is home to South Africa's Indian Community although not once did we see a curry house. It is also home to one of the largest malls in the southern hemisphere, Gateway mall at which we enjoyed a chocolate bar (that's a coffee shop selling chocolate things, such as chocolate shots, milkshakes, cakes, coffee (mocha) and even chocolate liqueur ! ) we also went to the cinema (Burn after reading.... put simply it's rubbish, don't bother), a bit of food and a few essentials (such as a map to find our way back to J'burg via the 'scenic' route. Anyway back to the story. My Aunt joined a 'happy clappy' church. As she has a new man in her life we had to go to Church to meet him. (he's suitable and meets our approval). 30 minutes of christian rock ballads is probably how I would describe the opening. 50 minutes of American style preaching (minus the cartwheels, although it was close) and a few prayers that started off in one direction and finished up one something completely different with several members of the audience taking part. I have to say, it's not the worst service I've ever been to and It hasn't changed my views on God but if you are ever in the Durban area I would recommend anyone go along. You are made to feel most welcome, you get a cup of tea(during a break in the service) and apart from being a bit weird, everyone is very friendly. Heartland Church

1 comment:

Lesley said...

hahaha that made me laugh. All I can think about is the sketch Billy Connelly did on American preaching- he acted out an american preacher who could "cure" people. Preacher says "come on down now, I'll cure you.." A member of the congragation says "theres a deaf boy here preacher", Preacher says "Bring him down I'll cure him!" Preacher sticks fingers hard into deaf boys ears and says "say Jesus!" "ah Jesus ahhh" the deaf boy replys! "He's cured, he's cured" the preacher replies "bring them all to me, I'll cure them"

(yeah I know, you'd probably have to see the sketch but...)