Sunday 14 December 2008

Three Countries in one week! - 1) Easter Island

A song has been going through my head ever since we arrived on Easter Island. It's not a widely known song (from Church) but from the words which I remember it goes, 'Through all the changing scenes of life... ' (I'll find the rest at my friends, Caroline and Marcus' house). Thes reason for this is due to the fact that no matter where you are on this island, something catches your eye and you just cannot believe how amazing the place is.
Anyway, our last stop in South America was Easter Island, and what a place. I could honestly live here. The people are so friendly, the way of life so laid back and the peacefulness of the island is fantastic. I feel so relaxed for the first time in a long time.



Easter Island is known for being the furthest inhabited island in the world, and to be honest, you'd never know. Ok, the island is about 64 square miles in size, only one main town and their are more pot holes in the road than in all of Bolivia, but with the crashing of the waves nearly visible at every turn and the wild horses which block the roads... who couldn't love the place.



Chris and I went in search of the Maoi and we weren't disappointed. Although many of them were toppled due to island wars, we visited the quarry where some of the statues were still attached to the mountain side and various others were positioned about the place. It was a sight to behold and I loved every minute of it.


2 comments:

Marcus said...

Through all the changing scenes of life,
In trouble and in joy,
The praises of my God shall still
My heart and tongue employ.

Lesley said...

Emma says-Look!they're all decorated! (The pic of you both with flower garlands)